[Dibico Project Journal - Part 16][Back to part 15]
..[Part 1][Part 2][Part 3][Part 4] [Part 5][Part 6][Part 7][Part 8] [Part 9][Part 10][Part 11][Part 12] [Part 13][Part 14][Part 15][Part 16] [Part 17][Part 18][Part 19][Part 20] [Part 21][Part 22][Part 23][Part 24 Tuning]
Autumn 2014 = Turbo construction + MEGASQUIRT "Electronic Fuel Injection" :D
I drilled a hole in each side of the oil pan to get the oil back from the turbo chargers .
Before the engine got the fuel from a standard mechanic fuel pump and a carburettor. To get it working with turbo chargers I am changing to Electronic Fuel Ignition. That is why I had to install this electronic fuel pump with fuel filter as showed in the picture.
This is from underneath, I used aluminium for easy manufacturing and good finish.
I mount plates like this everywhere for better stability.
This is custom made for the hand brake assembly.
This is how it is suppose to sit on the frame.
This is another custom made piece for the handbrake.
Here it is mounted.
At first I thought I should use pipes all the way to the throttle but in that case I couldn't have the handlebar in my preferred position. The solution was to build a low-building plenum box starting like this.
Now you can get an idea of what I am trying to achieve.
There it is, I've got no idea if this will work or not but I guess I will find out one day:P
Stainless steel pipes from the turbo to the plenum connected with silicon host.
To be able to get the engine out of the frame i hade to cut down one tube and design some fasteners as showed in the picture.
This is the upper part of the tube.
Finally my package from USA arrived. This is the after-market "Electronic fuel ignition" system called MEGASQUIRT. I chose to solder everything together myself to learn how everything was connected. This package contained: Megasquirt 1,V3.0. Relayboard, Megasquirt stimulator V2.2. Pigtail connectors to the fuel injectors, sensors, INNOVATE O2 sensors, Trigger wheel and some other wires and stuff.
This is my working area. It is my kitchen table in my 30m2 apartment:).
First of I soldered this board called "Megasquirt stimulator V2.2". This is used later to check that the ECU (Engine Control Unit) works properly. The Stimulator simulates the physical engine.
Then I soldered the relay board witch is used to fuse all the important components such as the fuel pump.
This is how it looks when its all completed.
Now it was time to start with the ECU, the brain of the bike. The Engine Control Unit will control the fuel injection and the ignition. All the pieces (transistors,resistors,processors..) arrived in small bags named with numbers.
The Megasquirt board before solder.
Just in the middle of the process, many pieces left.
Here is all three boards together. The stimulator took around 1 hour to solder, the relay board about 1,5 hour and the ECU took just about 7 hours.
The work with constructing the electronic fuel injection is fun, I think it's because I have not done this kind of things before. In Christmas I will have some more time to work on the bike and I hope I can make some large progress. My goal is to get the bike out on the road before this summer.
One of the first runs with turbos and Electronic Fuel Injection, Connected to laptop.
I didn't know what the screaming sound came from but after some thinking it turned out that I had minimum tension on the waste gates, witch resulted in a small opening all the time. After adjusting this the sound went away.